Poison Ivy

poison oak leaves

Poison ivy is associated with a rash that people get from touching the poison ivy plant. The oil in the plant is called urushiol, and when this oil comes into contact with the skin it often causes an itchy, blistering rash. Not everyone is allergic to poison ivy, but most people are at least mildly affected by it. For those who are allergic, they can suffer for days or weeks with an extremely itchy rash. Some people are successful at treating poison ivy at home with cortisone lotion, but for those with severe allergic reactions, medical care from the dermatologist is required.

People who have a severe allergy to poison ivy often tell their doctors that they can simply look at poison ivy and they catch its rash. Poison ivy can affect any area of the body that has had contact with the plant. While the rash from poison ivy does not spread on its own, scratching the rash can cause it to spread because if the fluid from inside the blisters is carried to other parts of the body, the rash can quickly develop. Severe poison ivy rash can produce intense swelling and oozing blisters. Many people with severe allergic reactions do not have success with other the counter treatments. At Medical Dermatology Specialists we can offer the clinical expertise that is needed to treat your poison ivy.

Some people may suffer through a few days of their itchy poison ivy and find that they have no relief. Dr. Jamie Weisman understands that different skin reacts differently to poison ivy. Therefore, she and her team at Medical Dermatology Specialists treat each patient on an individual basis and determine the most progressive and effective treatment for his or her poison ivy.

You don’t have to suffer through weeks of poison ivy discomfort. Call the skin experts at Medical Dermatology Specialists today for an appointment.

Posted on behalf of Dr. Jamie Weisman, Medical Dermatology Specialists, Inc.