Your hands say a great deal about you whether you realize it or not. For instance, men who work on cars or with mechanics are generally noticed because of the permanent grease stains around their nails. In the same way, artists are easily identified because of clay or paint caked around their nails. For some, having beautiful hands is not of super importance; for others, healthy, strong fingernails is important for maintaining a pleasant appearance and feeling confident.
Just like your skin, your nails are subject to damage from many environmental exposures: sun, dry air, harsh cleaning liquids, workplace activities, and aging. For those who are concerned about taking a few extra steps to care for their nails, there are certain things you can do to prevent dry, cracked, thin, or brittle nails. Below are a few tips for great looking nails:
- Wear gloves when washing dishes. Every time you put your hands in the sink to wash dishes, the detergent and the hot water rob nutrients and moisture from your nails and cuticles.
- Use a moisturizer. Regular hand-washing saps even more moisture and nutrients from your nails and cuticles. Doctors and nurses are notorious for having very dry hands because of all the hand-washing they must do between patients. Moisturizes that contain lactic acid can be especially effective in preventing nail splitting, cracking, and breakage. When you moisturize your hands, take time to massage the moisturizer into the nail beds and cuticles.
- Use cuticle cream. The cuticles are vital to the health of the nails. By massaging the cuticles with a special moisturizer, it keeps the cuticles supple so that it promotes healthy nail growth.
- Take biotin supplements. Biotin is a B vitamin, and it has been clinically proven to prevent brittle nails. Taking a Biotin supplement daily will provide important nutrient support to your nails.
- Wear insulated gloves. When cold weather strikes, it is important to protect your entire body from its damaging wind and dry air. Wear insulated gloves to help hold moisture in, and protect your entire hands from the harsh environment.
At Medical Dermatology Specialists, we realize that not everyone is interested in having picture-perfect hands. However, by taking a few steps to care for your nails and cuticles, you can prevent infections and pamper yourself. Healthy hands have healthy nails. If you are worried about the health of your nails, contact us today to find out about the options for caring for your hands.
Atlanta, GA 30328