A mole on your skin is a growth that is usually black or brown. They can appear on your skin in groups or in isolation. They appear when your cells in your skin form in a cluster instead of spreading throughout your skin. Your moles and change in color and size for many reasons.
It is important to monitor your moles because moles can be a sign of melanoma or other types of skin cancer. Moles can serve as warning signal you that one of these conditions may occur. Most moles are benign, but it’s important to have them checked by a dermatologist to have it evaluated.
Watching for changes in your mole:
- A change in your mole’s color
- A change in your mole’s size or height
- A change in the shape of your mole
- Bleeding or oozing from your mole
- Itchy or scaly moles
- An asymmetrical mole
- The border or edges of your mole are ragged, blurred or irregular
- The color of your mole is not the same throughout
- Your mole is larger than the eraser of a pencil
- Your mole appears to be elevated
Your mole may have been present at birth, or appeared during your childhood or young adulthood. If you have a new mole that has appeared later in life, you should have it checked by a doctor.
As you monitor your moles it’s important to contact our Atlanta Mole Removal Professionals at Medical Dermatology today if you notice any changes. We will determine if your mole is harmless or if it needs medical treatment. We will approach the treatment of your mole with great concern and care.
Medical Dermatology Specialists, Inc.
5730 Glenridge Dr, Suite T-100
Atlanta, GA 30328